Registering a Death


If Death Occurs at Home 


Telephone the GP surgery to inform the doctor that the death has occured.  Once the doctor has attended the deceased he will advise you if we can then come to take your loved one to our chapel of rest.  He will also tell you when the Medical Certificate of death can be issued.  This certificate will be needed at the registrars.



In a Nursing Home


The above procedure is likely to have been carried out, with your permission, by the matron or warden who will advise of the whereabouts of the Medical Certificate of death.



In a Hospital


The nursing staff or the appropriate officer will advise you when and from where to collect the Medical Certificate of death.





In all cases the medical certificate must be taken to the Registrar of Birth, Deaths and Marriages for official record purposes.  By law, all deaths that occur in England must be registered in the council district in which the death occurred. Once registered, the registrar's office will issue a green certificate; this is the official authority form and should be given to your funeral director.





If the death is one that is required to be reported to the coroner, then they will issue the authority for the burial or cremation of the deceased. In due course, they will forward to the registrar to permit registration of death. You should make contact with the Registrar of Birth, Deaths and marriages, give details about the deceased and your name and telephone number so that the registrar can make contact with you as soon as the documents are received from the coroner.  In certain cases where the coroner has had involvement, it is not always necessary to register the death before the funeral. This can sometimes be done after the funeral has taken place, but your funeral director will be able to advise.



Persons Qualified to Register

  • A relative of the deceased who has knowledge of the particulars required to be registered concerning death (this includes a relative by marriage)
  • A person present at the death
  • The executor or administrator of the deceased estate 
  • The occupier of the premises in which the death occurred 
  • The person finding the deceased or the person taking charge of the deceased 
  • The person procuring the disposal of the deceased i.e. the person employing the funeral director
  • Matron of a residential or nursing home 


Registration of the Death

  • This requires the qualified person to attend at the registrar’s office and give the following information:
  • Full name of the deceased
  • Date and place of death
  • Date and place of birth
  • Usual residential address
  • Occupation
  • The deceased's medical card should be taken to the registrar (if this is not available then the informant will be required to state the name of the general practitioner)


Documents Issued to the Relatives Following Registration

  • Certification of notification or registration of death. This is issued free and is for production to the Department of Social Security only. On the reverse side of this certificate is a BD8 form. On completion, this will set in motion the widow's benefit claim and claim for arrears of pension/benefits due      
  • Certificate for burial or cremation to be given to the funeral director (Green Form)
  • Certification is required for legal or financial purposes.  The informant may purchase from the registrar a certified copy of copies of the entry in the death register


Useful Contacts


Salford Registrar / 0161 793 2500


Bolton Registrar / 01204 331 185

Bolton Coroner / 01204 338 799


Manchester Registrar / 0161 234 5005

Manchester Coroner / 0161 830 4222


Salford Royal Hospital / 0161 789 7373

Bolton Royal Hospital / 01204 390 390


Age Concern UK / 0800 169 6565

Cruse Bereavement Care / 08444 799 400

Community Legal Service / 0300 200 2020 

Widows Advisory Trust / 0247 663 4848